Minutes August 2021

The August digital NCC meeting of the year capturing community highlights and on-going issues. .  Welfare Park improvements also discussed. Latest developments for Community Development Trust, rollout of the second issue of the Newtongrange Flyer and Police and Councillor report tabled. 

Members Present In Attendance
  • Jeremy Adderley (Chair)
  • June Robertson
  • Fiona Brooks
  • Ross Anderson (Minutes Secretary)
  • Linda Anderson
  • Andrew Marshall (Vice Chair)



See Agenda
  1. Welcome and introductions – 
    1.  Apologies on behalf of Clr. Johnstone, Liz Wilson, John Muir and Rebecca McCosh
    2. Jeremy informed meeting of potential changes in the future regarding his ability to continue with all NCC responsibilities. 
    3. Ross was informed by phone from John Muir (Treasurer) 1) Bank balance 31/08 £2349.55 2) Planning Applications: nothing of note. .
    4. JR informed meeting that Village Voices group were planning to hold physical meeting in Newbattle Community Learning Centre on 13/09/21 and would report back. AM felt we could look to a hybrid option for greatest participation. 
    5. NCC wish to make it clear that Councillor Kieron Munro has not attended any Newtongrange Community Council meetings despite being asked to participate physically or virtually. AM has also communicated with Conservative group leader. We wish to thank Councillors Johnstone and Muirhead for their regular participation. Action for AM/JA to escalate matter
    6. LA noted terrific feedback regarding lights in the park. Action for a thank you letter to be sent to Keith Slight and team as the public have been asking for this for over 30 years. JA
  1.  Actions from minutes –   Meeting felt Gareth Davies update was useful. JR mentioned his continued preference for a building in the park. JR also informed meeting that Margaret Evans (Village Voices) was waiting on a response from B&Q regarding paint. VV secured a Community Project Grant of £1,000 to repaint the fences via payback scheme. JA suggested perseverance with B&Q and to tell them about the community project and ask them to respond positively or negatively.  
  2. June Minutesformally accepted after two changes (proposer LA) (seconded JR): 
  3. Police Report – RA sent to NCC members prior to meeting. The police report credited the community response of the people of Newtongrange, after the sad isolated incident of someone losing their life.


    1. AM spotted on social media that the Police mobile spped check van has been in various places around Midlothian. This showing an improved level of community policing. JA also noted the presence of police at the school.  
  4. Newtongrange Masterplan Update – AM to communicate with Gareth Davies regarding the latest developments regarding change of site to the church/library area. The tree avenue is a great feature and would be great if it could remain.
  5. Springfield Development 
    1. JA/AM continued action to update page to keep it live. 
    2. AM noted that there was nothing new as of 31/08/21 & no formal application has been sent to Midlothian Council. Keep a watch out for Council meeting agendas moving forward.
    3. Action to keep on agenda and for RA to lead on latest development discussions in September meeting.
    4. The new primary school at Easthouses (2 or 3 tier) will affect the catchment of Newtongrange PS and the Gorebridge High School meeting on tonight 31/08/21 which Clr. Johnstone is attending Newbattel High. Action to ask Clr. Johnstone for clarification for September meeting and Robert Hogg (Mayfield & Easthouses CC) AM.
    5. AM mentioned implication of another big development behind Brewers Bush, Cockpen Rd, Bonnyrigg EH19 3JH. This and many other Midlothian projects are already eating up green spaces. AM highlighted the threat of MC changing green belt use.
  6. Newtongrange Development Trust (NDT)
    1. Next “The Pool” event Saturday 11/09/21. This monthly table-top session. Helps keep in-touch with vulnerable, addresses poverty issues with surplus food provided by CO-OP, Tesco, Morrisons and Tesco. 
    2. RA asked Victoria Robb, NMMS Education Manager and PC McFarlane about attendance for future ‘The Pool’ events.
    3. AM informed meeting that two free shipping containers has arrived at ‘The Pool’ site and the rented container will be removed in time. David Bishop will help get steps built up to the container and the containers and site will get updated to improve the look and feel.
  7. 2020-21 Year Aims for NCC– JA asked for next September meeting to think what we really want to take forward.
    1. Protecting and improving services:
      1. Noticeboard – JM  phoned RA prior to meeting to inform him that the new noticeboard had been delivered to Stobhill. Action JA/JM to find out a confirmed date for installation
      2. Welfare Park – JR mentioned that the proposed new container (football changing room facility for Dalkeith Thistle F.C youth teams) prominent location adjacent to Abbey Lands football pitch would be painted green. Despite Justin Venton mentioning they were unsightly it will happen ( due to the number of other units in Midlothian Parks). Action for NCC to ensure this is just a temporary lease arrangement. To ensure it is removed in time for the park centenary in 2026.
        1. Newtongrange Park Life litter pick next one is Saturday 25/09/21 10AM-12PM. With wild flower planting planned. 
        2. JR noted that during the last litterpick 28/08/21. It was noted that by far the worst area for dropped litter was in the playpark. A discussion with the Head Teacher of the Primary School might lead to improvements.
        3. FB  informed meeting that MC had hovered/cleaned the park tennis courts. The planters sponsorship project to start next year 2022.
        4. JA/RM  action to get ‘Todd the Snake’ incorporated into the school vicinity. 
    2. The Newtongrange Masterplan: ensuring community development remains at its heart and engaging business and the village in its progress
      1. AM to keep in contact with Gareth Davies regarding next steps
    3. Engaging the community: positive solutions for inclusivity, village pride and achievement.
      • Newsletter – JA previously shared draft of newsletter with members and look to get published soon. Need to get it printed at a much cheaper price than first issue.
  8. Reports
      1. Councillor’s – Clr. J emailed report. RA shared word document with members.
      2. Treasurer –  see 1c
      3. MFCCN/A
      4. Planning Applications – see 1c.
  9.  Correspondence – N/A
  10. Date of Next Meeting – Tuesday 28th September 2021 at 7.00 pm Zoom TBC – register here



Ross Anderson

Ross Anderson

I'm involved with the Newtongrange Community Council because I want to help preserve the unique heritage, character & facilities of the village.

You may also like...

1 Response

  1. October 19, 2021

    […] August Minutes – formally accepted  (proposer JR) (seconded AM):  […]