Minutes January 2022

The first NCC meeting of the year capturing community concerns and on-going issues. Springfiled development, Welfare Park improvements and Liney Dyke wall repairs discussed. Latest developments for Community Development Trust, revision of the second issue of the Newtongrange Flyer and Police and Councillor report tabled. 

Members Present In Attendance
  • Jeremy Adderley (Chair)
  • June Robertson
  • John Muir (Treasurer)
  • Ross Anderson (Minutes Secretary)
  • Fiona Brooks
  • Andrew Marshall (Vice Chair)
  • Liz Wilson
  • Sita Anderson
  • Rebecca McCosh
  • Kevin Robertson
  • Diane Marshall
  • Councillor Muirhead
  • Councillor Johnstone

 

 

See Agenda
  1. Welcome and introductions – 
    1.  Apologies on behalf of  Linda Anderson by Fiona Brooks,
    2. Jeremy (JA) advised meeting that we should have action to work on year aims next meeting
  1. October Minutes and November Minutes – Oct 21: AM proposed seconded JR; Nov 21: JM proposed seconded AM after minor corrections.
  2. Police Report – RA sent to NCC members prior to meeting. 
    1.  AM gave summary: mainly traffic issues. Shed break-in thefts prevalent with residents witnessing incident but not currently traced. It has been announced a dedicated police team with patrol late at night and early mornings to try and catch perpetrators. Clr. M mentioned theft of electric bikes/ electric bike parts was a growing trend. 
    2. JR mentioned LA’s agenda item: speeding and irresponsible driving/reverse parking near roundabout, white gates and Scot-Mid delivery car park. Clr J mentioned a resident who crosses there and anxious about this issue. JA mentioned he has been knocked down and had further near misses at the same bottom of village roundabout. Action for Clr M to mention matter. This may result in looking at accident stats but it is a continual matter of concern for NCC.
    3. SA mentioned the B6482 road towards the Sun Inn and as a cyclist “what are we meant to do?”. Need safe way to connect the villages. Can we put something along the railway line? JA mentioned for everyone to fill out Midlothian Active Travel Strategy Consultation Public Survey (deadline 25/02/22). 
    4. Clr J mentioned new highway code rules coming into force 29/01/22
  3. Matters arising: Sensory garden proposal for Newtongrange Welfare Park – Action for Clr(s) J, M and M to have meeting to consider sensory garden with regards environmental budget. Talk to Gary Fairley about proposal. The budget needs to be signed off before May elections. NCC’s LA & JR to be first point of contact regarding sensory garden. 
  4. Matters arising: Todd the Snake 
    1. JA to try and find unified approach for Justin Venton to complete project. Environmental funding considered.
  5. Matters arising: Noticeboard for Newtongrange Welfare Park
    1. Noticeboard still to be installed in the park. Initially due to be added to works in November 2021. Still no confirmed date for installation.
  6. 2020-21 Year Aims for NCC– JA asked for next September meeting to think what we really want to take forward.
    1. Protecting and improving services:
      1. Liney Dyke – JM sent letter to Grace Vickers. Clr M has action to check if Liney Dyke is inclusive of Newtongrange Conservation area. JM requested a map of conservation area in communications. To ensure planning consent is required and a deterrent for future issues.
      2. Abbey Lands container – JR discussed container issue with Michael McCran (Dalkeith Thistle) regarding the proposed new container (football changing room facility for Dalkeith Thistle F.C youth teams). It appears that it is the storage of football equipment i.e goals, nets etc that is required. It is possible that using existing pavilion resource behind fencing would be acceptable to team.
      3. JR mentioned that Gayle Taylor announced the Church are doing a tree planting on 2nd of June to celebrate and wondered if NCC want to do something alongside on the day. Action JM to check what other groups are considering, AM to contact Newtongrange Silver Band and for February meeting to consider ideas.
      4. SA has concern regarding 6th Street inconsiderate parking near school. 
      5. The Beacon – Action for JM to approach Mining Museum and find out if there will be a national beacon trail. 
      6. Parking at Welfare Park – due to two games of football in the park 22/01/22. A number of cars decided to park on the grass verge near the old tennis courts. Clearer signage required perhaps? FB will take photos if there is a recurrence. Create standard rules for the park. Clr M took action to contact Derek Oliver on this matter. He also mentioned roundabout (bottom of village), Sun Inn transport issue, parking cameras at school and traffic wardens.
      7. Research Study for Advanced Care/Flourishing in Older Age, Liz Wilson kindly volunteered to lead on this study.  LW has action to email Clr J to collaborate. It was suggested to get in touch with Fiona NC1 & LA’s Friendship Group.
      8. Action for JM to contact Rebecca McCosh regarding cutting down of trees near the A7 wheel at top of the village. A large number will be re-planted but something to be aware of.
    2. The Newtongrange Masterplan: ensuring community development remains at its heart and engaging business and the village in its progress
      1. NDT invited  Fiona Clandillon to meeting with regards to new library sharing the layout of the church. JR mentioned people she talked to are very happy with the new library proposal. AM mentioned positive takeaway from meeting was good engagement with MC to keep & invest in centre of village.
      2. Church building original re-opening date was December 2022. Gayle Taylor may update next NDT. 
      3. NCC concern about mention of 3 storey high units (especially by the roadside), although Newtongrange Swimming Pool was indeed that size.
    3. Engaging the community: positive solutions for inclusivity, village pride and achievement.
      • NDT Main Street presence –  Share of lease for 3 months trial of Accountant building next to Ideal Store. 
      • The Sidings – SA asked about ‘The Sidings’ future. Top floor offices used by Scotrail computer architects at present. 
      • Planters – FB has the sponsorship money in place. FB & Rebecca McCosh to discuss how much money the project requires at end of February. Claire Donaldson (active professional gardener) Guerrilla Gardeners (G.G) will advise on this matter. G.G to resume activities when nights are lighter.
      • Newtongrange Welfare Park cherry trees – MC staff have planted cherry trees on walk up to War Memorial and it has been well received. Sadly newly planted trees by football pitch was vandalised, ripped and sadly will not grow. Might be option to talk to Newtongrange Primary School regarding matter?
      •  Check nearby yellow grit bins and Leisure Centre facility.
  7. Reports
      1. Councillor’s – Clr. J and M gave verbal reports. Clr J: Newtongrange Park Life litter-pick group to re-commence on 26/02/22. Todd the Snake given go ahead by Gary Fairley. Clr J. receiving large number of complaints regarding dog fouling in village. What methods can be used to improve issue? Proposed budget date for MC 15/02/22. Council tax rises are a big possibility. New Council election on 05/05/22. Clr. M: MC needing to bridge the financial gap. Rise council tax or what can be cut? A group are interested in creating a Petanque court in Newtongrange Welfare Park. NCC collectively seemed to think it a good idea. A suggestion was to use part of the old bowling green area. Local examples in Penicuik and an old one in Temple. This compliments old tennis court project (RA/JA leading) with more activity in park.
      2. AM announced Councillor Keiron Munro will not be attending any NCC meetings. We can contact Peter Smaill regarding any concerns or enquiries we may have. Peter Smaill was complimentary about how NCC operated.
      3. Treasurer – £2,256.49 in bank waiting on £500 return from COOP.
      4. MFCC – Peter Arnsdorf discussed local mini plans for areas. Othher NCCs mentioned the many planning application relevant to their areas and the lack of Councillor report. AM once again mentioned the great support we receive from two of our councillors.
      5. Planning Applications – Springfield Development planning application has been lodged reference 22/00027/PPP Kevin Robertson has looked at documents. Am advised “This time you need to write directly to the planners in the form of comments for or against as a local resident. If you live fifty metres away you will receive a neighbour notification. Consultation period usually between 6-12 weeks. AM to consider the 50+ documents and will liaise with Gorebridge and Mayfield/Easthouses NCC contacts regarding development. JA expressed interest in the creation of a centre of sort. Worry about connectivity to Newtongrange is it creating a new village, a possible new CC ward. With regards to NWH expansion plans JR asks can the roads cope? Clr M action to ask about matter.
      6. Correspondence – Elize & Shona Rowan concerned about the state of  5-11, Murderdean Road, Newtongrange | Buildings at Risk Register A previous unsuccessful application for restaurant use has lapsed. What is happening now? Action for Clr M to look into this matter.
  8. A.O.B – Jason Ferry gift (discussed at AGM)
  9. Date of Next Meeting – Tuesday 22nd February 2022 at 7.00 pm Zoom TBC – register here

              

 


 
Ross Anderson

Ross Anderson

I'm involved with the Newtongrange Community Council because I want to help preserve the unique heritage, character & facilities of the village.

You may also like...