Minutes November 2021

The last NCC meeting of the year capturing community concerns and on-going issues. Welfare Park improvements and Liney Dyke wall repairs also discussed. Latest developments for Community Development Trust, rollout of the second issue of the Newtongrange Flyer and Police and Councillor report tabled. 

Members Present In Attendance
  • Jeremy Adderley (Chair)
  • June Robertson
  • John Muir
  • Ross Anderson (Minutes Secretary)
  • Linda Anderson
  • Andrew Marshall (Vice Chair)

Cal Haston

 

See Agenda
  1. Welcome and introductions – 
    1.  Apologies on behalf of Clr.(s) Johnstone/Muirhead, Connor Wright, Fiona Brooks, Liz Wilson, Lorna Stephenson and Sita Anderson (new member elected onto NCC)
    2. Jeremy (JA) advised meeting that we should have action to work on year aims next meeting
  1. October Minutes – AM proposed but not formally accepted to review Jan 2022
  2. Police Report – RA sent to NCC members prior to meeting. 

     

     
    1.  Main concern was number of recent disturbances
  3. Newtongrange Flyer – Cal Haston (CH) a pupil from Newbattle High School has kindly agreed to work with NCC on future issues of the flyer. JA confirmed that the second issue was ready to be published (Indesign). With the exception of a new poem? (JR to consider an appropriate poem). Once complete will be sent to get printed but would collaborate with Cal on future issues. CH advised using CANVA software & keeping clear & repeating features. A good suggestion was having 2022 meeting times, location & hybrid arrangements on the newsletter. JA asked if CH & team could help lay out new features. CH asked what social media platforms NCC use suggesting Twitter (NCC currently only Facebook). Once newsletters are printed team will deliver print version along with two winter newsletters.
  4. Springfield Development 
    1. JA/AM continued action to update page to keep it live. 
  5. Newtongrange Development Trust (NDT)
    1. Next “The Pool” event Saturday 04/12/21. This will be linked with the Christmas light switch on
    2. NCC wondered how long ‘The Pool’ site would remain in its current condition. The Masterplan for this part of the village looks a long way off and it needs to improve. AM mentioned Place based decision making
  6. 2020-21 Year Aims for NCC– JA asked for next September meeting to think what we really want to take forward.
    1. Protecting and improving services:
      1. Noticeboard – Action JA/JM to find out a confirmed date for installation
      2. Liney Dyke – Action JM to send letter to Grace Vickers. The importance to stop such unnecessary damage to the 100 year old wall happening again.
      3. Banners – JA asked are they becoming unsightly? Easthouses Miners Car Boot Sale and Newbattle Community Nursery have recently produced advertisements. (The Nursery trustee did approach NCC by social media) JA/CW to sort banners by church before Christmas light switch-on. Action for NCC memebers to look at them.
      4. Welfare Park – JR/LA/JA action to look at possibility of submitting a Jubilee Trust application for funding to make further improvements to the park before the centenary yearMichael McCran (Dalkeith Thistle) has been in touch with JA regarding the proposed new container (football changing room facility for Dalkeith Thistle F.C youth teams) prominent location adjacent to Abbey Lands football pitch would be painted green. Despite Justin Venton has not emaile Michael McCran back yet. ( due to the number of other units in Midlothian Parks). Action for JR to look at ‘shipping container’ conditions of occupation agreement to ensure it is painted to a high standard and this is just a temporary lease arrangement. To ensure it is removed in time for the park centenary in 2026.
        1. JR mentioned that the Community Payback team have collected the paint for the park fences. Five years to get it done before centenary.
        2. After LA/JR/Clr. J meeting up with Justin Venton and park ‘sensory garden’ discussions inspired by Angle Park with much improved wheelchair access. Clr(s) Johnstone, Muirhead and Munro are looking at environmental funding and to potentially take it forward with JV.
        3. FB mentioned that although football/tennis courts were cleaned of needles there was still dirt. Needs regular maintenance. It is also continually used by dog walkers and needs improved signage as a deterrent and have the area surveyed to see if it can be a high quality designated sport & leisure place once more. Action for RA/JA to move this forward to extend an invite and conversation with Justin Venton. 
        4. JA/RM  action to find tradesman to get ‘Todd the Snake’ incorporated into the school vicinity. JA to sent letter regarding matter to Councillors to request possible environmental funding contribution.
    2. The Newtongrange Masterplan: ensuring community development remains at its heart and engaging business and the village in its progress
      1. AM met with Gareth Davies & Fiona Clandillon with regards to new library. 
      2. The church & railings will not change. Would be great if the church hall and current library residential space was considered for later years living. 
      3. Agenda item for January 2022 meeting The church and wider masterplan development.
    3. Engaging the community: positive solutions for inclusivity, village pride and achievement.
      • Post Office –  Newtongrange Library will have a Post Office Counter in branch every Monday 1:30-3:30pm from 6/12/21
      • Suggestion Box (Library) – LA mentioned having a suggestion box for members of the public to contact NCC with correspondence,
      • Noticeboard- Justin Venton aware of the noticeboard location.
      • Remembrance Day Wreath – JM has a repeat order for wreath. AM thought we could think of an environmental friendly option for a wreath. Perhaps get a local artist to create one.
      • True Grit – Check nearby yellow grit bins and Leisure Centre facility.
  7. Reports
      1. Councillor’s – AM read highlights of Clr. J emailed report. RA shared word document with members. MC meetings still online and looking to implement hybrid facility. Surgeries need to be held in council buildings. There will be a consultation on the Newtongrange Conservation Area. AM action to keep aware of announcement.
      2. AM announced Councillor Keiron Munro will not be attending any NCC meetings. We can contact Peter Smaill regarding any concerns or enquiries we may have. Peter Smaill was complimentary about how NCC operated.
      3. Treasurer – See AGM 2021.                                                                          Due to constitution third bank signatory AM to be (Interm Secretary) “Secretary in name” Action JA to report to MC.
      4. MFCC – Danderhall have been able to have a successful hybrid AGM & meetings.
      5. Planning Applications – 
  8.  Correspondence – N/A
  9. A.O.B – Jason Ferry gift (discussed at AGM)
  10. Date of Next Meeting – Tuesday 25th January 2022 at 7.00 pm Zoom TBC – register here

              

 


 
Ross Anderson

Ross Anderson

I'm involved with the Newtongrange Community Council because I want to help preserve the unique heritage, character & facilities of the village.

You may also like...