Minutes September 2020
The seventh digital NCC meeting. The meeting this month capturing the resilience processes: highlights and on-going issues. Discussion about next steps for Community Development Trust and ‘The Pool’ for the next three months and other village issues
|Members Present||In Attendance|
- Welcome and introductions –
- Apologies from Linda & Jeremy.
- AM complimented Brian McGuff for his Midlothian Police communication with NCC. It would be great if another representative would be available for the monthly meetings.
- Police Report
- RA requested report for meeting but was not provided. Will be circulated on arrival.
- RA to contact PC Anderson to alert police to the issue that speeding in the village has not been sorted.
- JA to contact PC Pendreich to see whether police involvement at ‘The Pool’ will be possible. JD confirmed that police have just been unable to attend.
- June minutes formally approved (proposed JR; seconded LW)
- Midlothian Police representative at information session at ‘The Pool’ still required?
- For Matter Arising –
- Community resilience/Emergency Plan Not discussed September meeting (JA to bring forward next steps? October meeting)
- Community Development Trust – Pat Bowie review of proposal
- What does it mean? A Development Trust is a community owned and led organisation, working to combine community led action with an enterprising approach to address and tackle local needs and issues. The aim of a development trust is to create social, economic and environmental renewal in a defined geographical area, creating wealth within that area and keeping it there.
- Across Scotland in towns, cities and in both rural and urban locations, development trusts are enabling communities to make their own plans and as
- Next steps – Development trust Zoom held September 15th 2020 (Ross forwarded PDF’s from meeting by DTAS. Looking at next meeting in October. JM asked to be invited & FB asked about monetary donations.
- Partners involvement – JD was provided with a large list of partners. AM lamented ‘The Sidings’ having to close. JD mentioned due to its ideal location it could be used as a form of youth centre run by professionals.
- NRV volunteers to canvas the village to see if there was a will & mandate for Development Trust. Am said he had done work with a number of CT.
- JD said another meeting due 13th of October on Zoom.
- Newtongrange resilience – update from Andrew/Janet.
- AM mentioned ‘The Pool’ has been brilliant & hub of activity. A core of villagers volunteered, donated & participated. JD mentioned after debrief meeting the event is going to be monthly due to tail off & from now on with Oct 31st, Nov 14th & Dec 5th (likely to be 2 hour session TBC).
- JD Lots of great Halloween themed ideas in development. RA to contact Midlothian Science Festival regarding firework science for Nov 14th?
- NRV zone deliveries has all but stopped with the end of shielding. What will happen with end of furlough & the Covid rates rising? The supermarket food donations a real support to families. NC1 are no longer providing food deliveries (they provided 5,500 meals). Those who needed the meals what happens now in the tougher winter months ahead? JD advised that the food offer at ‘The Pool’ was a real lifeline for families with queuing up to an hour before table was ready.
- Donations helped repay cost of shipping container approx £400 and saving stuff from the landfill . The NCC agreed to continue covering rental until Dec 20th (at least)
- JA emailed pre-meeting regarding Bike Station about guided family cycle & bike maintenance event. This has been on-going and also contacted Ruts opposite Mining Museum.
- Community resilience ideas –
- Newtongrange Star 130th anniversary 20/9/20. (Ross) to contact Andrew Hickie from the Star Committee to see if they wanted to participate in monthly ‘The Pool’ session in Oct-Dec.
- Corona Snake – Miss V Morgan NPS Head Teacher has rocks & will contact JA when ready to to make permanent fixture.
- RA had Litter Pick idea combining with ‘The Pool’ 31st October opening. FB keen to participate RA to let he know confirmed date & time. Could this be a community payback venture?
- 2020-21 Year Aims for NCC– On agenda for reference during wider discussion
- Protecting and improving services:
- Urgent wall repairs required with bricks coming loose on Dalhousie Road (June to took photographs & JA to contact council regarding section 13 notice). LA mentioned with the heavy rain the wall could come down.
- Bus shelter on right hand side of main road as you walk up past water treatment works at Suttieslea (AM to take photos)
- ME to report Lady Road, historic footpath behind Reid Drive with overgrown treesfrom gardens spilling out on to the path (JD supplied Online form via zoom chat with AM mentioning getting instant results when reporting potholes)
- JM reported blind spot at crossing with large NDS sign. (AM to take photos and report)
- Lack of park benches in the park. JR to request park furniture from Justin Vernon MC. JD mentioned spare composite benches at Vogrie if required.
- JR mentioned the state of the back flowerbeds at the War Memorial and will report the issue. Drainage issues in park visible once more after recent floods. JM mentioned leaving of grass cuttings made it look like a farmers field.
- New restictions reminder from Christine Grahame MP
- The Newtongrange Masterplan: ensuring community development remains at its heart and engaging business and the village in its progress
- Update form working group (Andrew to find out what Gareth Davies MC priorities are with regards to Masterplan. AM to ask GD what is the current thinking on on ‘The Church, Library, Pool area. We have discussed short term green options for ‘The Pool’ site, after shipping container leaves but think incorporating a “drop in workshop” on a Saturday at ‘The Pool’ with stake holder groups & locals. AM to firm up plans for workshop next meeting. (Still required) JD ‘We need to speak with one voice’ to get noticed. AM action for October meeting
- Engaging the community: positive solutions for inclusivity, village pride and achievement.
- Newsletter – Contributors to get material together by mid October for JA to edit & get published. Targeted zone coordinated newsletter posting like NRV flyer but ensure to avoid paper waste.
- Litterpick – Next ‘The Pool’ event 31/10/20.
- Person needed to lead on support and develop planter sponsorship after Jason’s departure. Find a possible volunteer next meeting
- Protecting and improving services:
- Council Reports
- Councillor’s – attending councillors – N/A.
- Invited Clr. Munro but is he still in Canada?
- Councillor’s – attending councillors – N/A.
- Treasurer’s “Banking Signatory“. JA/AM still to be registered on bank account (changing from Jason as Chair, James as Secretary). JM received NCC headed paper & has thanked Masonic Hall and Newtongrange Star for donations. JM congratulated JD and Derek for the numerous donations from ‘The Pool’ ventures. NCC returned £6811.04 to MC as unspent money of grant. However MC still quering some aspects of the pend. There are a couple of outstanding cheques needing processed before November AGM. It was difficult to give precise statement of funds to the bank, this was due to outstanding cheques needing to be cleared (as JM is running accounts for NCC, CRF, MC grant, donations & NRV) £3,500 approx. in the bank as of 29/9/20. JM lamented the fact that we received £1.34 interest now rates are negligible.
- FCC (Jeremy) – no report, JA/LW attending next zoom meeting Wednesday 16th September 7pm.
- Planning Applications – John – One driveway on Bryan’s Road. JM again mentioned his concern that with the new Primary/Nursery at Easthouses there will soon be no clear green demarcation between site. Same in Gowkshill, how can we take such concerns forward? AM to email Gareth Davies regarding these local development issues.
- AM to check email@example.com after meeting.
- MTRAP – Jeremy requested to be added to group communication. JM he had attended previously & mentioned Roslyn & Polmont CC raised many issues.
- MC Climate Emergency – RA to resend first meeting notes. Let JA know if interested in participating in future meetings & correspondence.
- JR mentioned concern specifically for Newtongrange residents requesting flu vaccinations at Gorebridge Medical Practice. Phone line swamped and probles getting appointments due to large demand. Newbattle’s walk in clincic seemed to be faring better.
- JM announced Jason is enjoying the new opportunity with working with children in certain communities in Midlothian.
- Any Other Business
- JR reported on a collapsed drain near demolished hut. Some cleared but certainly not intensively cleared (blocked up with silt & grass). AM mentioned Scran Van waste liquids going down A7 drain.
- Date of Next Meeting – Tuesday 27h October 2020 at 7.00 pm Zoom TBC – register here